Curcumin, the active constituent of turmeric root, has been used for hundreds of years by Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for its broad range of health benefits. In recent years, more than 8000 studies have documented the vast benefits of curcumin! It has been proven to be a potent antioxidant and a formidable natural anti-inflammatory. It helps strengthen our liver, heart, kidneys, GI tract, lungs, and also boosters our immunity and promotes healthy cell proliferation. It drastically reduces free radical damage and inflammation – the initial triggers for many disease states. Based on the numerous studies conducted, curcumin has been shown to provide significant benefits for the following conditions:
- Alzheimer's & Dementia
- Cardiovascular Issues
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Chron's Disease
- Wound Healing
- Tondonitis, Tennis Elbow
- Nerve Pain – Neuropathy
A Few Facts About Curcumin:
- A major anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-rheumatic
- Reduces free-radical damage and inflammation
- Tendonitis - reduces inflammation and strengthens the ligament itself
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Crohn's disease
- Scientific researchers around the world have shown application for Curcumin that includes fighting cancer, arthritis, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and reversing the processes underlying Alzheimer's disease.
- More powerful and effective in reducing heart attack risk than statin drugs or an aspirin a day, but without any significant side effects
- Powerful anti-cancer effects, protects the brain from free radical damage and improved insulin function (diabetes and metabolic syndrome)
- Very effective in preventing atherosclerosis and may actually reverse it
- Chronic inflammatory diseases, such as diabetes, metabolic syndrome, auto immune diseases, etc.
- Chemopreventative effects
- Reported to be beneficial in HIV infection, colon cancer, inhibits the growth rate of cancer cells and has strong merit as an anti-cancer agent
- Boosts the immune system and may be beneficial in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease
- Powerfully reduces inflammation, immune overactivation, and smooth muscle overgrowth, all things responsible for the lesions causing heart attacks and strokes
- It inhibits angiogenesis, the process of growing new blood vessels from existing blood vessels, which early results indicate is a very successful method of killing cancers.
- It suppresses the cancer enzyme tyrosine kinase which helps stop the growth and invasion of the cancer into normal tissue.
- It inhibits the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase which causes cancer growth and is 100 times more active in cancerous tumors.
- It suppresses a group of enzymes called metalloproteinase-2-9. These enzymes in highly invasive cancers dissolve the protective tissue that normally confines cancers so they can spread to neighboring tissues and organs .
- Curcumin can calm overactive microglial in the brain. Microglial can trigger destruction of brain connections and brain cells if left in this overactive state. This calming effect also reduces the secretion of the excitotoxins glutamate, aspartate and quinolinic acid.
- Tennis elbow - will help speed healing and also strengthen ligaments and tissue
- Shown to improve nerve pain
Alzheimer’s disease - Patients with this condition are found to have clusters of beta-amyloid proteins amongst dying and dead brain and nerve cells. These plaques are thought to inhibit the normal transmission of messages between brain cells. Inflammation is known to be involved and further enhances the devastating effects of these plaques. Curcumin is one of the best protectors of your brain cells from free radical damage and inflammation. In experimental models, curcumin has been shown to decrease the decrease the accumulation and shrink the size of these plaques by over 30%, more effective than many of the drugs being tested for Alzheimer’s. Curcumin can also calm overactive microglial in the brain. Microglial can trigger destruction of brain connections and brain cells if left in this overactive state. This calming effect also reduces the secretions of excitotoxins such as glutamate, aspartate, and quinolinic acid.
Depression - Curcumin is primarily known for its anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and neuroprotective effects, but a recent study looked at its potential for major depressive disorder. 1000mg of BCM-95® Bio-Curcumin® was compared to the prescription drug fluoxetine at 20mg daily. The response rate on the HAM-D17 scale was almost identical at 62.5% for BCM-95® and 64.7% for fluoxetine, but the BCM-95® had negligible adverse effects and no significant side effects! Earlier studies also showed curcumin to work as well as four other anti-depressant drugs. Curcumin is also known to increase the overall effectiveness when added to the prescription regimens! So far it looks very promising and safe for depression. Recent research has also shown that curcumin promotes the process of neurogenesis – brain cell formation.
Heart Disease - Curcumin has been shown very effective in preventing atherosclerosis and some research indicates it may actually reverse it! Curcumin powerfully reduces inflammation, immune over activation, and smooth muscle overgrowth – three processes responsible for the lesions that cause heart attacks and strokes. It has also been shown to protect against the effects of a high-cholesterol diet by increasing HDL levels up to 29%, decreasing triglycerides by 27% and by preventing the damaging effects of inflammation that lead to plaque build-up in the arteries.
Diabetes – Curcumin was found to be equally effective in decreasing insulin resistance as the prescriptions drug rosiglitazone. It can lower glucose levels as fast as two weeks and help normalize HbA1c levels. Curcumin also protects against the side effects of diabetes such as neuropathy, heart disease, and eye problems.
Obesity - Recent evidence has discovered that curcumin can help your body burn fat for energy more effectively, regulate and normalize blood glucose levels, and stop new fat cells from forming and expanding! It is thought to inhibit the growth of fat cells much like it inhibits the growth of cancer cells – by preventing the formation of new blood vessels that feed these cells. Curcumin has also been shown to increase levels of the protein adiponectin, which is vital for regulating insulin metabolism and blood sugar levels.
Gastrointestinal disease - Most of the common diseases like IBD (Inflammatory bowel disease) and IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) are the results of inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. This inflammation if left unchecked can lead to gas, pain in the abdomen, acidity, bloating, constipation, diarrhea and more. A recent study conducted on over 200 IBS patients given curcumin experienced a 25% decrease in the pain associated with IBS. Two-thirds of the patients reported an overall improvement in all of their other symptoms as well.
Another study on patients infected with Crohn’s disease revealed that they were able to either completely stop or reduce their medications drastically while supplementing with curcumin. Curcumin not only suppresses inflammation in the intestines but actually strengthens the intestinal lining to help prevent leaky gut syndrome, a condition where harmful bacteria actually leak through the lining of the GI tract and enter the bloodstream. This condition is known to cause a vast array of hard to treat problems and symptoms.
Skin and Wound Healing - Curcumin has been observed to improve the vascular density in wounds so that enough nutrients are carried to the damaged tissue for proper healing. It also improves collagen deposition which is vital for healthy skin repair. It is commonly known that people suffering from diabetes have a slow healing time for even the smallest of wounds. Diabetes can cause also delay the formation of new cells and clearing of the damaged ones. An experimental study revealed that curcumin, applied both topically and orally was able to speed up the recovery process. For cancer patients, radiation treatment can cause considerable skin damage which takes time to heal. Curcumin is found to speed up this process when used prior to treatment. It has also been found that curcumin has the ability to fight psoriasis, skin cancer and eczema.
BCM-95® Bio-Curcumin® – We utilize a special type of curcumin in our NuJoints®, Anti-Aging Formula-X®, and Lipid-Pro® supplements. BCM-95® is a unique, patented blend that is purified, reconstituted and standardized to enhance the absorption of the curcuminoids from turmeric root. It is unique in that the essential oils of turmeric (including turmerones) are added back to the 95% curcuminoid mixture after it has been extracted. These oils not only enhance the absorption and effectiveness of the Curcuminoids but also have several benefits of its own such as enhancing the effectiveness of the body’s natural anti-cancer and immune system components. BCM-95® Bio-Curcumin® has been proven to enhance absorption of curcuminoids from its norm of about 50% to as high as 97% and to increase bio-availability to body tissues 6.93 times better than standard curcumin!! Also, studies have proven that BCM-95® Bio-Curcumin® reaches its peak blood concentration in half the time (1 hour vs. over 2 hours) and it stays in the blood and tissues at this high concentration for over twice as long (8 hours), whereas normal 95% curcumin withers out after only 4 hours.
Curcumin – the Natural, Safe, and Effective Super-Supplement!
Not only is the curcumin natural, it is not known to have any side effects and zero toxicity issues have been reported from the use of curcumin! It has also been found to be successful in treating many other diseases like liver, kidney, eye, lungs, pancreatitis, allergies and more. Vast research and numerous studies are still underway to determine the various other properties of this miraculous supplement.